1 oz 2021 $20 Royal Canadian Mint The Avro Arrow Silver Coin
Buy with Confidence
Celebrate the legacy of the Avro CF-105 Arrow, an aviation marvel that was designed and built in Canada! In the 1950s, this supersonic aircraft was heralded as the fastest and highest-flying interceptor. It was, and remains, an inspiring symbol of Canadian ingenuity and engineering excellence—especially on this 99.99% pure silver coin, which salutes the innovators whose ideas provided the blueprint for the Arrow's achievements. A must-have for aviation enthusiasts! Re-discover the story of the Avro Arrow. Order your coin today!
- THE ARROW RETURNS! Celebrate Canadian ingenuity with this 1 oz. 99.99% pure silver coin featuring the Avro CF-105 Arrow!
- HONOURING THE INNOVATORS! Your coin's reverse is inspired by technical drawings of the Avro Arrow and features laser-engraved grid lines for that classic blueprint look. This is the Royal Canadian Mint's way of honouring the Canadians who designed and built the most advanced fighter jet of its time.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- POPULAR THEME! Only 10,000 of these coins are available worldwide. Given its design and theme, this Avro Arrow coin will be popular with history enthusiasts and aviation buffs – get it before it sells out!
- NO GST/HST
Design: Designed by Canadian artist Stephen Quick, your coin's reverse is inspired by technical drawings of the Avro CF-105 Arrow. It features a mix of cross-sectional plan and three-view drawings, while the rendering of the Arrow in perspective shows the beauty of the aircraft's design. To complete the blueprint look, laser-engraved grid lines fill the field on both the reverse and obverse, which features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Flying high In 1953, A.V. Roe Canada Ltd. was commissioned to develop a supersonic interceptor that would bolster North America's air defences during the Cold War. Production began at the company's facilities in the town of Malton, Ontario, and on October 4, 1957, the first Arrow, RL-201, was unveiled to great fanfare. After a successful first flight on March 25, 1958, four more prototypes were completed, plus one Arrow Mk. 2. The twin-engine, delta-winged Arrow was hailed as a technological triumph; it was the first production aircraft to adopt a fly-by-wire flight control system, while the newly developed Iroquois PS-13 turbojet engine would have allowed it to fly at a speed exceeding Mach 2—twice the speed of sound. But on February 20, 1959, the government cancelled the project due to mounting costs and the advent of the missile age. All CF-105 Arrow prototypes, models, plans and equipment were to be destroyed, though some surviving artifacts can be found in Canadian museums.
Did you know?
- Many of the Canadian engineers who worked on the Arrow went on to play important roles in the American space program, and in other aerospace projects such as the Canadarm.
- What's the largest surviving piece of the Avro Arrow? The nose section of RL-206, which was 98 percent complete when work stopped on the Arrow program. When the Arrows were disassembled in 1959, this section found its way to the Institute of Aviation Medicine in Toronto, where it was used as a pressure chamber. In 1965, it was donated to the National Aeronautical Collection, which became the National Aviation Museum in 1982 and is now the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa, Ontario, where the nose section is currently on display.
- Several more Arrow artifacts have resurfaced in the last few years, including several models that have been recovered from the bottom of Lake Ontario.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.
|Royal Canadian Mint|
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 2 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $199
Orders over $199 ship for free! Orders under $199 ship for only $9.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or United States Postal Service. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
320,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured