1 oz 2022 10th Anniversary of the Farewell to the Penny Silver Coin | Royal Canadian Mint
Buy with Confidence
Own this “W” mint mark tribute to Canada’s penny! Order today!
It was 10 years ago, in 2012, that the last Canadian penny was struck at the Royal Canadian Mint's Winnipeg facility. Now, a decade later, the cent’s maple leaf twig design has been brought out of retirement for a limited appearance on this 99.99% pure silver tribute. Struck in a tailored specimen finish, the maple leaves feature a soft satin finish, while the field is filled with angled lines that meet at the centre. Those lines are a nod to the Royal Canadian Mint's pyramid-shaped Winnipeg facility where this “W” mint mark coin was struck, and where all Canadian pennies were minted between 1976 and 2012.
Gone but not forgotten! Relive your memories of the penny with this “struck in Winnipeg” tribute. Order today!
- A TRIBUTE TO THE PENNY! This 1 oz. tailored specimen silver coin pays tribute to Canada’s copper-coloured cent on the 10th anniversary of the last penny struck at the RCM's Winnipeg facility.
- “W” MINT MARK! Like all pennies issued between 1976 and 2012, this 10th anniversary tribute was struck at the Royal Canadian Mint's Winnipeg facility. But unlike all pennies, this collectible proudly bears a “W” (Winnipeg) mint mark that indicates where it was made—it’s the only new addition to the classic design.
- A TAILORED SPECIMEN FINISH! You’ve never seen the penny quite like this. Thanks to a tailored specimen finish, G. E. Kruger Gray’s timeless maple leaves feature a pleasing satin sheen, while the field is filled with angled lines that meet at the centre to form pyramids—a nod to pyramid-shaped Winnipeg facility!
- DOUBLE THE SIZE! With a 38 mm diameter, this coin is nearly double the size of a 2012-dated penny (19.05 mm). Its enlarged view brings renewed appreciation for a design that was once an everyday part of Canadians' lives.
- AN EXCLUSIVE OPPORTUNITY! Only 15,000 are available to collectors worldwide.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
Struck in a tailored specimen finish (satin relief against a pyramidal line pattern), your coin’s reverse is a reproduction of the beloved one-cent circulation design by G. E. Kruger Gray. It features two maple leaves on the same twig, as seen on most Canadian pennies issued between 1937 and 2012. The reverse also features a “W” Mint mark signifying the coin was proudly struck at the RCM's facility in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
DID YOU KNOW?
Unlike the other denominations of Canadian circulation coinage, the one-cent coin rarely featured any other design than the one introduced in 1937 (and featured on this coin). The only exception was in 1967, when a rock dove design by Alex Colville temporarily replaced the maple twig to mark the 100th anniversary of Confederation.
The penny was one of the first “struck in Canada” coins. Two coins were minted during the official opening of the Royal Canadian Mint Ottawa facility on January 2, 1908: a 50-cent coin struck by Governor General Early Grey, and a bronze cent struck by his wife, Countess Grey.
The coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.
ABOUT THE ROYAL CANADIAN MINT
The Royal Canadian Mint is known as one of the most reputable mints in the world. The Ottawa Branch of the Royal Mint opened in 1908 and was renamed The Royal Canadian Mint in 1931 when control was transferred to the Canadian government. The Royal Canadian Mint is renowned for producing some of the highest quality and purity of gold and silver bullion coins and bars in the world. Their high standards for excellence and quality allowed them to be the first refinery to manufacture 9999 fine gold bullion coins in 1982, as well as the first to reach 99999 fine gold purity in 1999.
|Royal Canadian Mint|
|G.E. Kruger Gray|
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 2 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $199
Orders over $199 ship for free! Orders under $199 ship for only $9.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or United States Postal Service. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
286,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured