1 oz 2022 Klondike Gold Rush: Prospecting For Gold 99999 Proof Gold Coin | Royal Canadian Mint
Buy with Confidence
From raw gold to rare coin: Add this 99.999% pure gold Klondike Gold Rush coin to your collection.
Five nines! Made from the highest standard of pure gold—more pure than any Klondike gold nugget—this 1 oz. numismatic treasure shares the same design as its 1 oz. gold bullion counterpart, but in a luminous proof finish. Its engraved depiction of a prospector using a rocker box hints at the journey from raw gold to coins—specifically, those issued by Canada’s Mint, whose creation was accelerated by the events in the Yukon. This is the popular image of the Klondike, though not everyone benefitted from those boom days: many failed to strike it rich, and with the sudden influx of gold rushers came a series of sweeping changes that proved devastating to northern Indigenous communities and environments, leaving a complicated legacy that still reverberates today.
The Royal Canadian Mint's only 99.999% pure gold collector coin issued in 2022.
- ‘Five nines’ fever. Step back in time with this Klondike Gold Rush coin crafted in 99.999% (“five nines”) pure gold, which makes it one of the purest gold coins in the world.
- A rarity in 2022. The Royal Canadian Mint is the only mint that regularly issues 99.999% pure gold coins, and this Klondike-themed showpiece is the only “five nines” numismatic offering in 2022.
- A snapshot of the past. These gold coins' reverse features one of the scenes that helped shaped the popular image of Yukon as a mining frontier. Although its legacy is complicated, the Klondike Gold Rush was an important chapter in this nation’s history because it incorporated the north into the Canadian nation and put Canada on the map as a leading gold producer.
- An exclusive piece. Only 400 are available worldwide. Order yours today!
- Includes serialized certificate. The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
DID YOU KNOW?
- You’ll never find a naturally formed 100% pure gold nugget. Most fall somewhere between 70% to 95% pure gold, while the remainder consists of other alloys, such as copper, nickel and/or silver. This varies depending on the geographic location, and natural variations in gold purity can occur even within the same deposit or vein.
- The prospector’s pan was the simplest way of collecting Klondike gold, but most of the placer gold deposits lay buried near the bedrock. To reach these, prospectors needed to tunnel horizontally—a process known as drift mining. Miners used this method in the winter, when the ground was too frozen to collapse, and the “paydirt” would be piled up until the gold could be separated from the gravel in the spring. Shown here, the rocker box was favoured for one-man operations: water was poured into the top and a rocking movement helped separate the gravel from the gold, which was caught by riffles that lined the bottom of the box.
DESIGN & ARTIST
Designed by Canadian artist Steve Hepburn, the coin’s reverse takes us back in time for an idealized view of the Klondike Gold Rush experience from a prospector’s perspective. Standing at the edge of a stream, a prospector is seen pouring water from a ladle (“dipper”) into the top of a rocker box (“cradle”), which would then be rocked from side-to-side to separate gold from the sand and gravel. The water pouring out of the box gradually takes on the appearance of molten metal to represent the journey from raw material to refined precious metal, and ultimately, to the pure gold coins issued by the Royal Canadian Mint, represented by the Gold Maple Leaf bullion coin’s design. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
“Would-be prospectors left their former lives behind and travelled over perilous mountain passes, thick forests and dangerous conditions in hopes of reaching pay dirt and striking it rich. Their work was gruelling, and the invention of the rocker box must have seemed like a gift from above—the prospector could now move many times more material, which would hopefully lead to bigger yields of gold. The strength, dedication and internal fortitude that was needed to live and work in these rugged conditions is hard for us to conceive. Perhaps the greatest thing that the invention of the rocker box gave the prospectors was hope." STEVE HEPBURN, ARTIST
Each coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.
ABOUT THE ROYAL CANADIAN MINT
The Royal Canadian Mint is known as one of the most reputable mints in the world. The Ottawa Branch of the Royal Mint opened in 1908 and was renamed The Royal Canadian Mint in 1931 when control was transferred to the Canadian government. The Royal Canadian Mint is renowned for producing some of the highest quality and purity of gold and silver bullion coins and bars in the world. Their high standards for excellence and quality allowed them to be the first refinery to manufacture 9999 fine gold bullion coins in 1982, as well as the first to reach 99999 fine gold purity in 1999.
|Royal Canadian Mint
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 2 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $199
Orders over $199 ship for free! Orders under $199 ship for only $9.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or United States Postal Service. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
320,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured
Secure Your Future with Precious Metals IRA
Building a Brighter Tomorrow:
Diversify your IRA/401k with gold and silver, providing stability to your investment portfolio.
From account setup to selecting IRA-approved metals and coordinating secure storage in the USA, we offer a comprehensive service.
Transparency and Full Ownership:
Our transparent pricing policy ensures no hidden fees, and your investment in physical bullion is held securely on your behalf.
Diverse Investment Options:
Select from a variety of LBMA or COMEX-approved bullion, including gold, silver, platinum, and palladium.
Flexible Storage Options:
Choose your preferred storage location across the USA for fully insured storage of your metals.
Our team assists with every step, from setting up your IRA account to finalizing purchases, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
BOOK FREE CONSULTATION
Security and Convenience in Every Transaction
Your investments are protected in Brink's vaults, complete with armed guards and 24/7 surveillance. Each deposit is fully insured by Lloyd's of London, ensuring peace of mind.
Global Reach, Local Service:
With over $150 million in customer deposits across 6 locations in 4 countries, we offer unmatched service and accessibility.
Transparent and Low Rates:
Benefit from the lowest rates with 24/7 account balance updates, ensuring transparency at every step.
Through our Instant Liquidity program, expect the best rates and funds transfer within 1 business day.
Your holdings are confidential with us, thanks to our partnership with private entities like Silver Gold Depository, Lloyd's of London, and Brink's.