1 oz 2023 Super Incuse Maple Leaf Silver Coin | Royal Canadian Mint
Buy with Confidence
Black rhodium and super incuse—a striking combination that leaves a deep impression.
For the 2023 edition, the Royal Canadian Mint combined two stand-out features—black rhodium plating from 2020, and the 1.5 mm super incuse depth that set a new standard in 2021—to give its Silver Maple Leaf (SML) design a more modern edge.
This special edition of the SML is a study in contrasts: it mixes standard raised relief with a super-incused strike, and a reverse proof finish (frosted field, brilliant relief) with the sleek satin look of black rhodium plating. The result is a fresh take on a familiar design—it’s contemporary, it’s captivating, and it is sure to leave a lasting impression.
Black rhodium and super incuse—a bold combination for 2023.
- Fresh yet familiar. This 2023 edition features a new, innovative mix of two stand-out features: black rhodium plating from 2020, and the 1.5 mm incuse depth from the 2021 and 2022 coins. The perfect addition to your SML collection!
- Super incuse—a continuing tradition. In 2021, the Royal Canadian Mint took Walter Ott’s original art to new depths with the first ever Super Incuse Silver Maple Leaf (SML) coin. The RCM did it again in 2022, and that extreme relief depth of 1.5 mm repeats on the 2023 edition, too.
- A favourite. This special issue featuring the SML bullion coin design is crafted in 1 oz. of 99.99% pure silver. Previous 1 oz. SML coins sold out quickly, so don’t miss this opportunity in 2023—order today!
- Low mintage. Limited to 8,000 coins worldwide.
- Includes serialized certificate. The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
BOLD BLACK RHODIUM
To emphasize the incuse strike and add a modern edge, the deeply recessed maple leaf has been plated with black rhodium. Black rhodium plating also fills the field on the coin’s obverse, and it darkens both the coin’s edge and rim to boldly frame the reverse.
REVERSE PROOF FINISH
This coin is a study in contrasts, especially with its lightly frosted field and brilliant relief. The reverse proof finish pairs beautifully with the satin sheen of black rhodium to achieve an ultra-modern look that exudes sophistication and truly makes the maple leaf pop!
DID YOU KNOW?
- The SML’s iconic maple leaf is the same one that appears on the Gold Maple Leaf (GML) coin – in fact, that’s where it made its debut. Former Chief Engraver Walter Ott (1920-2020) created the design for the first GML bullion coin issued in 1979, and it has since become the signature design for all the Royal Canadian Mint's Maple Leaf bullion coins and special issues.
- The leaf on this coin is that of the sugar maple, Acer saccharum. True to its name, the sugar maple’s sap has the highest concentration of sugar, and that’s why this Canadian maple is prized by maple syrup producers.
DESIGN & ARTIST
The coin’s reverse features Walter Ott’s iconic sugar maple leaf design, unchanged since the first Silver Maple Leaf (SML) bullion coin issued in 1988. Struck incuse, the distinctive sugar maple leaf is plated with black rhodium and reaches a depth of 1.5 millimetres. The coin’s reverse proof finish emphasizes the brilliant relief, including the engraved words “CANADA”, “FINE SILVER 1 OZ ARGENT PUR” and the purity standard of “9999” on the reverse. Black rhodium plating also fills the field on the obverse, which features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. The obverse also bears a special marking that includes four pearls symbolizing the four effigies that have graced Canadian coins and the double date of her reign.
Each coin is encapsulated and presented in a black Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.
ABOUT THE ROYAL CANADIAN MINT
The Royal Canadian Mint is known as one of the most reputable mints in the world. The Ottawa Branch of the Royal Mint opened in 1908 and was renamed The Royal Canadian Mint in 1931 when control was transferred to the Canadian government. The Royal Canadian Mint is renowned for producing some of the highest quality and purity of gold and silver bullion coins and bars in the world. Their high standards for excellence and quality allowed them to be the first refinery to manufacture 9999 fine gold bullion coins in 1982, as well as the first to reach 99999 fine gold purity in 1999.
|Royal Canadian Mint|
|Walter Ott (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)|
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 2 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $199
Orders over $199 ship for free! Orders under $199 ship for only $9.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or United States Postal Service. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
320,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured