2017 Royal Canadian Mint | Commemorative Royal Visit | Parliament Building Silver Coin
Buy with Confidence
Previous MC Exclusive gold-plated coins sold out! Hurry and order yours today!
The late 1930s were a time of tumult for the British monarchy. King George V's silver jubilee year, 1935, ended sadly when he fell gravely ill. He passed away in January 1936. His son Edward VIII's ascension was short-lived: Edward abdicated later that year, leaving his brother, George VI, to take the throne. These shifts in leadership meant that mints across the British Empire had to make ongoing changes to coinage in collaboration with the Royal Mint in London—a time-consuming task in this era. As matters at Windsor Castle calmed in 1938, the Government of Canada, unable to issue a commemorative coin in time for George VI's 1937 coronation, decided to celebrate His Majesty's planned royal visit in 1939—the first of its kind on Canadian soil—and thus this commemorative silver dollar was born.
Third coin in a gorgeous series! Hurry and order yours today!
- PREVIOUS COINS SOLD OUT! The first two coins in this series each sold out an hour after going on sale!
- A MASTERS CLUB EXCLUSIVE COIN! Your iconic proof dollar is available only to members of the Masters Club.
- LOW MINTAGE OF 4,000! A low mintage of 4,000 coins means this 2 oz. pure silver coin will be highly sought after.
- SELECTIVE 99.99% GOLD PLATING ON BOTH SIDES! Your coin is beautifully enhanced by selective gold plating on both sides!
- FEATURES EFFIGY OF KING GEORGE VI! The obverse of your coin features the effigy of King George VI by Humphrey Paget from the original 1939 silver dollar.
- GORGEOUS PACKAGING! Your coin is ready to display in its limited-edition wooden case and comes beautifully packaged in an attractive graphic beauty box.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins. Most of these are serialized certifications, meaning that each certificate is given a unique number, starting at 1.
- TWO-OUNCES 99.99% PURE SILVER! Your coin has no GST/HST.
Design: Focused simply and elegantly on the Centre Block of Canadian Parliament, your coin highlights the stately Peace Tower. This Canadian icon is linked to the country's status within the British Empire (now the Commonwealth) through Latin text honouring King George VI across the top of the reverse: "FIDE SVORVM REGNAT," which translates to "He reigns by the faith of his people." The reverse also features the text "CANADA", the denomination of "1 DOLLAR" and the date "2017". The obverse features the effigy of King George VI from the original 1939 silver dollar.
Did you know… King George VI, Queen Elizabeth, Princess Elizabeth, and Princess Margaret were each given proof dollars in Canadian-designed and crafted cases. Their coins were double struck to sharpen the relief. All Canadian silver dollars were 80% silver and 20% copper between 1935 and 1967. The artist who designed the reverse of the coin, famed Canadian sculptor and artist Emanuel Hahn, created this design in only four weeks. The 1939 commemorative silver dollar was the only Canadian circulation silver dollar to feature the numerical figure "1" before the word "DOLLAR" on its reverse.
Packaging: Beautifully presented in a Royal Canadian Mint branded wooden box, lined with black flocking and including a removable insert and special certificate compartment.
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 5 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $299
Orders over $299 ship for free! Orders under $299 ship for only $19.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or Canada Post - all fully insured, tracked and signed. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
260,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured