5 kilo 2021 100th Anniversary of the Bluenose Silver Coin | Royal Canadian Mint
Buy with Confidence
The Bluenose legacy forever preserved in five kilograms of pure silver. Order today.
Launched on March 26, 1921 in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Bluenose brought home a record catch in its first season fishing on the Grand Banks. It captured the 1921 International Fishermen's Trophy for Canada in its first season and remained undefeated in the series. Skippered by Captain Angus Walters, Bluenose proved its worth as a fishing vessel in its first season at sea. The first test as a competitive racer came in the fall of 1921, and its first International Fishermen’s Race, Bluenose outsailed the Gloucester schooner Elsie. It also outclassed Henry Ford the following year, and a racing legend was born. After a sensational racing career, Bluenose’s final years and foundering in 1946 marked a sad end to a glorious era. Despite the loss, the legacy of the Canadians who built and crewed this legendary vessel still lives on, forever preserved in images that inspire awe—like the one engraved on this magnificent 5 kg pure silver showpiece. The sight of Bluenose sailing once again, its majestic sails filled with wind, will whisk you back in time and fill you with the thrill of the race, the euphoria of victory, and an unmistakable sense of pride for this symbol of Canada’s maritime heritage.
An unforgettable send-off as RCM concludes their yearlong commemoration. Order today!
- FINAL PIECE IN THE BLUENOSE ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION! RCM's yearlong centennial celebration of Bluenose concludes with this spectacular 5 kg coin, which marks the final chapter in their retelling of the story of Canada’s most famous ship.
- A BIG FINALE! A small canvas wouldn’t do the original artwork justice. Crafted in 5 kg of 99.99% pure silver, this coin’s impressive 180 mm diameter provides the right amount of space for an intricately detailed portrait of the schooner that has never ceased to inspire Canadians.
- SPECIAL OBVERSE! The theme extends to your coin’s obverse, which features a wood field pattern and a reproduction of Bluenose’s wheel. The field pattern is a special nod to those who built and crewed the wooden workhorse depicted on your coin’s reverse, where a high-shine proof finish draws attention to the complexity of the engraved relief.
- PRESTIGE, FROM START TO FINISH! Complete your Bluenose collection and get the complete story! Packaged in our finest wooden collector case, your 5 kg pure silver coin comes with a special booklet on the history of Bluenose.
- A LEGACY THAT ENDURES! Bluenose will always hold a special place in the Royal Canadian Mint hearts, and this coin is a special celebration of its enduring legacy on the 100th anniversary of its first racing victory. Built in Lunenburg, N.S., Bluenose remains the pride of Nova Scotia and a Canadian icon; as the ship depicted on Canada’s 10-cent coin, it has also been a big part of RCM's own story since 1937.
- A RARE AND PRESTIGIOUS SHOWPIECE! Only 125 of these numismatic masterpieces are available to collectors worldwide. Order yours today.
Your coin’s reverse design is based on original artwork by Canadian marine artist Yves Bérubé. It presents a timeless portrait of Bluenose setting out beneath an evening sky and riding the waves off the coast of Cross Island, Nova Scotia. The name “BLUENOSE” appears to the right of the vessel’s sails, accompanied by ornamental scrollwork as it appeared on the iconic schooner. The obverse features a wood field pattern, a reproduction of the ship’s wheel, and the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
“The iron wheel depicted on the silver 5kg coin is a treasured piece from the Nova Scotia Museum’s Fisheries Collection. It is believed to be the first wheel ever used aboard Bluenose and it helped steer the vessel to victory.” Adrian Morrison, Curator of Collections, Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic
“There are no words to describe how proud members of my family are to see William James Roué and his legacy as the designer of Bluenose perpetually preserved by the Royal Canadian Mint through the Bluenose centennial coin program. To see his work represented on a coin as impressive as this five-kilo coin is truly an honour for us, as it would have been for him." – Joan Roué, great-granddaughter of William James Roué and author of "A Spirit Deep Within", the story of Bluenose and its designer.
Did you know?
- Though Captain Angus Walters tried valiantly to keep Bluenose afloat, even paying $7,000 to save it from being auctioned off, he was forced to sell it to the West Indian Trading Company in 1942. Canada’s beloved racing schooner then spent the next few years working as a freighter in the Caribbean. On the night of January 28, 1946, the ship struck a reef off Île à Vache, Haiti; no lives were lost but Bluenose was wrecked beyond repair, and Walters was devasted to hear of the ship’s sinking.
Housed in a clear round capsule, your coin comes in a premium, burl wood case. Choose how you want to display your coin: inside its case and viewed through the acrylic window in the lid, or in the custom frame that comes with this case. The entire interior is lined in velvet-like black flocking, and just below the display compartment, a spring-loaded drawer houses a special serialized, multi-page booklet that shares the legacy of Bluenose. For added protection, each case is packaged in a custom set-up box and delivered in a Canadian-made NanukTM protective shipping case.
‘Bluenose’ is an official mark adopted and used by the Nova Scotia Department of communities, Culture and Heritage pursuant to the Trademarks Act (Canada). It is used by the Royal Canadian Mint with the Department’s permission.
|Royal Canadian Mint
|Yves Bérubé (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 2 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $199
Orders over $199 ship for free! Orders under $199 ship for only $9.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or United States Postal Service. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
320,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured
Secure Your Future with Precious Metals IRA
Building a Brighter Tomorrow:
Diversify your IRA/401k with gold and silver, providing stability to your investment portfolio.
From account setup to selecting IRA-approved metals and coordinating secure storage in the USA, we offer a comprehensive service.
Transparency and Full Ownership:
Our transparent pricing policy ensures no hidden fees, and your investment in physical bullion is held securely on your behalf.
Diverse Investment Options:
Select from a variety of LBMA or COMEX-approved bullion, including gold, silver, platinum, and palladium.
Flexible Storage Options:
Choose your preferred storage location across the USA for fully insured storage of your metals.
Our team assists with every step, from setting up your IRA account to finalizing purchases, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
BOOK FREE CONSULTATION
Security and Convenience in Every Transaction
Your investments are protected in Brink's vaults, complete with armed guards and 24/7 surveillance. Each deposit is fully insured by Lloyd's of London, ensuring peace of mind.
Global Reach, Local Service:
With over $150 million in customer deposits across 6 locations in 4 countries, we offer unmatched service and accessibility.
Transparent and Low Rates:
Benefit from the lowest rates with 24/7 account balance updates, ensuring transparency at every step.
Through our Instant Liquidity program, expect the best rates and funds transfer within 1 business day.
Your holdings are confidential with us, thanks to our partnership with private entities like Silver Gold Depository, Lloyd's of London, and Brink's.