5 oz 2022 Canadian Ghost Ship Silver Coin | Royal Canadian Mint
Buy with Confidence
A black light-activated colour reveal will have you seeing ghosts too! Order today.
For more than 200 years, there have been reports of an eerie apparition in Chaleur Bay and in the Northumberland Strait. Some describe a glowing ball of fire; others have seen a manned, three-masted ship with sails all aflame. Those who have attempted a rescue remember approaching the glowing vessel, only for the ship to suddenly vanish without a trace…
The perfect gift for someone who enjoys a good ghost story. Order today!
- A BLACK LIGHT-ACTIVATED COLOUR REVEAL: Innovative Colour Reveal technology makes it possible to witness a “ghostly” apparition on this pure silver coin.
- BLACK LIGHT FLASHLIGHT INCLUDED WITH EACH COIN: The engraved scene is stunning in any light, but the true story unfolds when you view the coin’s reverse under a black light (included), which will activate the technology.
- A FUN EXPLORATION OF FOLKLORE: Travel to Atlantic Canada to uncover one of Canada’s most famous ghost stories. Is it an optical illusion? Is the ship doomed to haunt our eastern waters? It’s a fascinating story that culminates with an exciting reveal on this coin!
- A NEW GHOSTLY TALE: You may have met a ghost bride (2014), a headless brakeman (2015) and the ghost of Bell Island (2016), or had a haunting experience at an Ottawa hostel (2019). But this ghost story has never been featured on a coin issued by the Royal Canadian Mint—until now.
- INCREDIBLY DETAILED: From the traditional dory on the engraved shore to the hidden ghost ship on the horizon, every aspect of this design is carefully detailed to reflect our love for a good ghost story.
- POPULAR WITH COLLECTORS: Previous coins that featured this technology have sold out (see the 2019 Lights of Parliament Hill coin).
- A FUN, ENGAGING THEME: The perfect gift for someone who enjoys a good ghost story, and an opportunity to show young collectors how fun this hobby can be!
- LOW MINTAGE: Limited to 1,500 coins worldwide.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE: Regardless of special packaging, the Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Neil Hamelin travels to the shores of Atlantic Canada, where two local sailors push a dory into the rough surf. They are attempting a rescue just as the storm rolls in, but the ship in need is only visible when the scene is viewed under black light. With Colour Reveal technology, a three-masted ship appears on the horizon and seems to be ablaze from bow to stern… but is it real or is it an illusion? The reverse includes the words “CANADA” and “2022”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
BEHIND CLOSED DOORS
“The viewer is sure of one fact, and that’s the sighting. What the apparition is… that’s where the story takes root! On a moonlit night with a storm rolling in, our fishermen see a ship and it appears to be in great distress. Is it an illusion or is the ship truly in flames? The unknown makes for a great mystery!” - Neil Hamelin, Artist
DID YOU KNOW?
Canada’s famous “fire ship” is most often seen in Chaleur Bay (or the Bay of Chaleur, as it’s informally known) but there have also been reported sightings in the Northumberland Strait, in different sections along the coast of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. Some have theorized that the apparition is St. Elmo’s Fire, a phenomenon in which electricity discharged from the atmosphere presents itself as glowing light on tall, sharply pointed structures—like a ship’s mast. The phantom ship is also known as “Le feu du mauvais temps” in the Chaleur Bay region, where its appearance heralds an approaching storm. Some have suggested it is caused by an atmospheric discharge. Others think it could be caused by a phosphorus discharge from the depths of Chaleur Bay, like the “will o’ the wisp” phenomenon, where a flame-like glow is seen at night in marshes and swampy areas.
The coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.
ABOUT THE ROYAL CANADIAN MINT
The Royal Canadian Mint is known as one of the most reputable mints in the world. The Ottawa Branch of the Royal Mint opened in 1908 and was renamed The Royal Canadian Mint in 1931 when control was transferred to the Canadian government. The Royal Canadian Mint is renowned for producing some of the highest quality and purity of gold and silver bullion coins and bars in the world. Their high standards for excellence and quality allowed them to be the first refinery to manufacture 9999 fine gold bullion coins in 1982, as well as the first to reach 99999 fine gold purity in 1999.
|Royal Canadian Mint|
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 2 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $199
Orders over $199 ship for free! Orders under $199 ship for only $9.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or United States Postal Service. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
320,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured