Set of 2 x 2021 Royal Canadian Mint | 25th Anniversary of the Toonie | Bank Note and Silver Coin
Buy with Confidence
Celebrate 25 years of history with this $2 coin and bank note set. Order today!
A look back at the birth of the Toonie! This anniversary set features a 99.99% pure silver recreation of the $2 coin that made its debut on February 19, 1996—the same day Canada ceased to issue $2 bills, like the one featured here. Sealed in its own capsule, the uncirculated $2 bank note in this set is from the Bank of Canada’s 1986 Birds of Canada series and represents the last of its kind—in fact, this one is a rare BRX replacement bank note that has been locked in the Royal Canadian Mint's vault for 25 years. As for the fine silver coin, it is selectively gold-plated to resemble the beloved bi-metallic circulation piece, which quickly became a fixture in the everyday lives of Canadians.
A DREAM SET for collectors of Canadian currency! Join us in celebrating the 25th anniversary of Canada’s $2 coin – order today!
- THE TOONIE TURNS 25! Join us in celebrating the 25th anniversary of Canada’s $2 circulation coin! This coin and bank note set looks back at the $2 coin’s debut in 1996.
- REVISIT A HISTORIC TRANSITION! A before-and-after retrospective, this set commemorates Canada’s transition to the Toonie by pairing one of the last $2 bank notes with a reproduction of the first $2 coin.
- INCLUDES A REPLACEMENT BRX $2 BANK NOTE! Sealed in a capsule, the uncirculated $2 bill is a colourful piece of the past. It was part of the 1986 Birds of Canada series issued by the Bank of Canada and represents the last of the $2 bank notes that circulated in Canada until 1996.
- A BRX REPLACEMENT BANK NOTE! Take a closer look at your $2 bill’s serial number: the “BRX” prefix identifies it as a replacement bank note in case a regular one was damaged or destroyed during the printing process. Replacement notes rarely enter circulation—in fact, this one has been locked in the Royal Canadian Mint's vault for 25 years, which makes it a unique collectible.
- A SNAPSHOT OF 1996! Crafted in 99.99% pure silver, this collector coin features the reverse and obverse designs from the first two-dollar coin issued in 1996, but a slightly larger (38 mm) diameter and double dates (“1996-2021”) to commemorate the 25th anniversary in 2021.
- SELECTIVE GOLD PLATING! Gold plating on the centre portion of your coin mimics the look of the bi-metallic $2 circulation piece. The rim is also plated with gold, which provides an extra touch of contrast and elegance.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- NO GST/HST!
Design: A recreation of the first $2 coin issued in 1996, your coin’s reverse was originally designed by Canadian artist Brent Townsend and features an adult polar bear in early summer, standing on an ice floe. The image portion is plated with gold to mimic the distinctive appearance of the bi-metallic circulation coin. The obverse features the classic effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Dora de Pédery-Hunt, while the double dates “1996-2021” commemorate the 25th anniversary of Canada’s $2 circulation coin.
Did you know? The switch to a $2 coin was proposed as a cost-saving measure, because coins generally last 20 times longer than paper currency. The $2 coin or “Toonie” (a combination of “two” and “Loonie,” the dollar coin’s nickname) was Canada’s first bi-metallic circulation coin; its outer ring and inner core are locked together by a patented mechanism developed by RCM engineers. The $2 circulation coin has evolved since 1996. There have been a few different versions of “Churchill” (the coin’s polar bear mascot) throughout the piece’s 25-year history, but did you notice the maple leaf on this coin’s obverse? That leaf was a common feature on all Canadian $2 coins issued until 2006, when RCM introduced a new Mint Mark.
Packaging: The perfect pairing, your $2 coin and bank note are individually encapsulated and presented side by side in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.
Please note: As of January 1, 2021, all Canadian $2 bank notes – including the one in this set – are no longer legal tender. While they may not be accepted for cash transactions, the Bank of Canada will honour the bills at face value if you wish to redeem them. To learn more, visit the Bank of Canada website.
|Royal Canadian Mint
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 2 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $199
Orders over $199 ship for free! Orders under $199 ship for only $9.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or United States Postal Service. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
320,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured
Secure Your Future with Precious Metals IRA
Building a Brighter Tomorrow:
Diversify your IRA/401k with gold and silver, providing stability to your investment portfolio.
From account setup to selecting IRA-approved metals and coordinating secure storage in the USA, we offer a comprehensive service.
Transparency and Full Ownership:
Our transparent pricing policy ensures no hidden fees, and your investment in physical bullion is held securely on your behalf.
Diverse Investment Options:
Select from a variety of LBMA or COMEX-approved bullion, including gold, silver, platinum, and palladium.
Flexible Storage Options:
Choose your preferred storage location across the USA for fully insured storage of your metals.
Our team assists with every step, from setting up your IRA account to finalizing purchases, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
BOOK FREE CONSULTATION
Security and Convenience in Every Transaction
Your investments are protected in Brink's vaults, complete with armed guards and 24/7 surveillance. Each deposit is fully insured by Lloyd's of London, ensuring peace of mind.
Global Reach, Local Service:
With over $150 million in customer deposits across 6 locations in 4 countries, we offer unmatched service and accessibility.
Transparent and Low Rates:
Benefit from the lowest rates with 24/7 account balance updates, ensuring transparency at every step.
Through our Instant Liquidity program, expect the best rates and funds transfer within 1 business day.
Your holdings are confidential with us, thanks to our partnership with private entities like Silver Gold Depository, Lloyd's of London, and Brink's.