Set of 5 x 2023 35th Anniversary of the Silver Maple Leaf Silver Coins | Royal Canadian Mint
Buy with Confidence
Celebrate 35 years of the Silver Maple Leaf with an RCM first: a plated and engraved maple leaf rim.
In 2023, Canada’s Silver Maple Leaf (SML) bullion coin turns 35 and the Royal Canadian Mint is marking the occasion in this instalment of the annual 99.99% pure silver fractional set. All five double-dated (“1988 2023”) coins in this fractional set feature a classically styled red maple (Acer rubrum) leaf, a dazzling Canadian maple that gets its name from the spring colour of its flowers and leaf buds. That “blush” of colour inspired the application of rose gold plating to the 1 oz. coin, where the raised rim consists of an engraved pattern of 35 tiny maple leaves that artfully elevates the SML anniversary celebration to new heights.
A plated and engraved maple leaf rim—an RCM first. Order your 2023 pure silver fractional set today.
- RCM first: plated and engraved rim. For the first time, a selectively plated rim with 35 engraved maple leaves frames the art on the largest coin in this fractional set, which celebrates the 35TH anniversary of Canada’s Silver Maple Leaf bullion coin.
- Raised rim. While a typical rim is raised, it rarely features any details other than denticles—but that’s not the case with this set’s 1 oz. coin. The repeating pattern of engraved maple leaves adds a captivating textural element and reflects the Royal Canadian Mint's pride in minting one of the world’s most sought-after bullion coins.
- Precious portraits. All five coins in this fractional set—1 oz., 1/2 oz., 1/4 oz., 1/10 oz. and 1/20 oz.—are crafted in 99.99% pure silver. Each reverse features the same classical-styled portrait of a leaf from a Canadian maple species that is known for its spring and fall colours, which inspired the application of rose gold plating to the 1 oz. coin.
- Includes serialized certificate. The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
The 1 oz. coin includes rose gold plating that further emphasizes the raised maple leaf rim as the standout feature.
The Coral Anniversary (35TH) of the first Silver Maple Leaf (SML) bullion coin is commemorated by the double dates “1988” and “2023” appearing on each coin’s reverse.
These five coins feature a reverse proof finish—brilliant relief on frosted/matte field—that keeps the focus on the engraving.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The fast-growing red maple is one of the first Canadian maple species to undergo its colourful transformation in the fall. Its leaves are known to turn a beautiful, bright red, but they could also be yellow or orange—in fact, the “red” in the species’ common name refers to the springtime colours of the tree’s leaf buds and flowers.
- When the Silver Maple Leaf (SML) debuted in 1988, it made history as the world's first 99.99% pure silver bullion coin. Thirty-five years later, the SML continues to be one of the most sought-after silver bullion coins, and it still bears its signature maple leaf—an iconic design by RCM Master Engraver Walter Ott, who originally created it for Canada’s Gold Maple Leaf (GML) bullion coin.
DESIGN & ARTIST
On all five coins, the reverse design by Marie Elaine Cusson features a classical styled portrait of a red maple (Acer rubrum) leaf, along with the double dates “1988 2023” commemorating the 35TH anniversary of the first Silver Maple Leaf (SML) bullion coin. On the 1 oz. coin, rose gold plating highlights the engraved rim, which consists of a repeating pattern of Acer rubrum leaves. Each reverse includes the words “CANADA”, the coin’s purity and weight, and the year “2023”. Each obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
“We worked together as a team to create something truly special, and the result is this fine silver fractional set that features so many highlights! The intricately engraved maple leaf rim is a special addition, something that is not commonly seen on our coins.” MATT EGGINK, PRODUCT MANAGER, ROYAL CANADIAN MINT
These five coins are individually encapsulated and presented together in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell case with a beauty box.
ABOUT THE ROYAL CANADIAN MINT
The Royal Canadian Mint is known as one of the most reputable mints in the world. The Ottawa Branch of the Royal Mint opened in 1908 and was renamed The Royal Canadian Mint in 1931 when control was transferred to the Canadian government. The Royal Canadian Mint is renowned for producing some of the highest quality and purity of gold and silver bullion coins and bars in the world. Their high standards for excellence and quality allowed them to be the first refinery to manufacture 9999 fine gold bullion coins in 1982, as well as the first to reach 99999 fine gold purity in 1999.
|Royal Canadian Mint|
|CAD 5 | CAD 4 | CAD 3 | CAD 2 | CAD 1|
|Marie Elaine Cusson (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)|
|38 | 34 | 27 | 20 | 16|
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 2 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $199
Orders over $199 ship for free! Orders under $199 ship for only $9.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or United States Postal Service. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
286,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured