1 oz 2020 Second World War Battlefront Series: The Liberation of the Netherlands Silver Coin | Royal Canadian Mint
Buy with Confidence
This coin pays tribute to the Canadian Army and to the people of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Order today.
The Royal Canadian Mint's ninth Battlefront coin steps away from the battle to show a child's eye view of the Liberation of the Netherlands (1945). The commemorative design shows Canada's troops receiving a hero's welcome at the end of the Second World War, when a lasting bond was formed between two nations. And like all coins in the Royal Canadian Mint's 2020 V-E Day collection, the obverse includes a special Victory privy mark.
A thoughtful addition to a military or history-themed collection. Order yours today!
- NINTH COIN IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR BATTLEFRONT SERIES: Only one more coin left before the series is complete! This 1 oz. coin commemorates the 75th anniversary of the Liberation of the Netherlands (1944-1945). It is the story of how Canada helped a country regain its freedom.
- EXCLUSIVE SERIES-WIDE PACKAGING: All the Royal Canadian Mint's Second World War–Battlefront Series coins (including this one) are packaged in a clamshell case within a custom beauty box. Collect every coin in the series and place the boxes spine to spine—together, they form a complete timeline of Canada's military engagements in the Second World War.
- A VICTORY PRIVY MARK: Every commemorative coin in the Royal Canadian Mint's 2020 75th Anniversary of V-E Day collection—including this one—features a special privy mark that was inspired by the 1945 Victory nickel design. (A modern re-creation of Canada's historic 5-cent coin is available as part of the 2020 Proof Dollar Set and the 2020 Special Edition Silver Dollar Proof Set.)
- TWO NATIONS, ONE MOMENT: This coin pays tribute to the Canadian Army and to the people of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. It is a celebration of freedom, of the relationship between our two countries and the lasting bond forged in war.
- CONTINUING FROM THE 2020 PROOF DOLLAR: This is the same soldier who appears as the middle silhouette on the 2020 Proof Dollar and on the 2020 $10 Canadian Army coin. The Royal Canadian Mint's V-E Day collection is one big story that begins with V-E Day then looks back at the events leading up to the celebrations, before finally taking stock of its legacy.
- A RARE CIVILIAN VIEW: Like the 2020 $10 Canadian Army coin, this design shows the Liberation of the Netherlands from the perspective of those who lived it. The child's view places you in the crowd and conveys the admiration felt for Canadian troops, who were warmly welcomed as liberators.
- INCLUDES HOLOGRAPHIC V-E DAY DECAL: A holographic V-E Day decal extends the celebration beyond the coin and onto the beauty box. This logo is the hallmark of the Royal Canadian Mint's 2020 V-E Day collection.
- A HISTORIC OBVERSE: Like all Canadian coins issued in 1945—and like all Royal Canadian Mint's Battlefront and 2020 V-E Day coins—this 99.99% pure silver coin features the effigy of King George VI (by T.H. Paget).
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE: The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- 1 OZ. PURE SILVER: The coin is crafted from 99.99% pure silver!
- LIMITED WORLDWIDE MINTAGE: Only 7,500 coins will be made available worldwide.
Designed by artist Pandora Young, the reverse features a child's eye view of the Liberation of the Netherlands in the spring of 1945. Standing in a crowd of cheering Dutch civilians, a young girl offers a tulip to the Canadian infantryman seated on the carrier, while others have climbed onboard to celebrate freedom. The obverse features the effigy of King George VI by T. H. Paget and a Victory privy mark.
"I'm so honoured to be working on the Liberation of the Netherlands coin because of the special relationship Canada shares with the Dutch. I grew up in rural Ontario with a high Dutch immigrant population and I remember the harrowing stories my friends would tell me of their grandparents struggling to survive under the Occupation. Those stories stayed with me. On an artistic level, I was thrilled to get this project because of the technical challenges of sculpting children's faces. A child's face is plump and full of expression, and when you add the architecture in the background, this coin has it all. Really, it was a wonderful exercise in sculpting a layered relief despite having a height of only 0.35 mm to achieve this scene." Matt Bowen: Engraver
"Having been in Amsterdam on Remembrance Day and Liberation Day in 2019, I was struck by the stoicism and solemnity of the Dutch people when looking back on the Occupation. They acknowledge the past and learn from it, passing the lessons down to each new generation. Still today, they have a great respect for the Canadians, Americans, Polish, and British who contributed to the Liberation." Jamie Desrochers: Product Manager
DID YOU KNOW?
- The surrender on May 5 did not put an immediate end to the violence. Newspaper reports on May 6 announced the Canadians would arrive in Amsterdam the next day but a reconnaissance unit felt the situation was too tense. On May 7, enemy troops fired on the crowd that had gathered in Dam Square to celebrate the Liberation, resulting in the deaths of more than 30 people.
- It's been called the last battlefield in Europe: the Dutch island of Texel was the site of an uprising that continued after the war ended. On April 6, hundreds of Georgians stationed on the island turned on their German officers and seized military installations. The fighting continued well past V-E Day and only ceased when Canadian troops arrived on the island on May 20, 1945.
- More than 7,600 Canadians died fighting in the nine-month campaign to liberate the Netherlands.
- Solemn commemorative ceremonies are held annually on May 4, which is Remembrance Day (Dodenherdenking) in the Netherlands. May 5 is Liberation Day (Bevrijdingsdag), a day for celebrating freedom, and it is a national holiday once every five years (including 2020).
- Still today, local schoolchildren are continuing the tradition of tending to the graves of fallen Canadian soldiers, including the more than 2,300 who are buried in Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery, near Nijmegen. In the war cemetery at Holton, schoolchildren from Deventer place a candle on all 1,394 Canadian graves on Christmas Eve.
ABOUT THE ROYAL CANADIAN MINT
The Royal Canadian Mint is known as one of the most reputable mints in the world. The Ottawa Branch of the Royal Mint opened in 1908 and was renamed The Royal Canadian Mint in 1931 when control was transferred to the Canadian government. The Royal Canadian Mint is renowned for producing some of the highest quality and purity of gold and silver bullion coins and bars in the world. Their high standards for excellence and quality allowed them to be the first refinery to manufacture 9999 fine gold bullion coins in 1982, as well as the first to reach 99999 fine gold purity in 1999.
|Royal Canadian Mint|
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 2 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $199
Orders over $199 ship for free! Orders under $199 ship for only $9.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or United States Postal Service. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
320,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured
Secure Your Future with Precious Metals IRA
Building a Brighter Tomorrow:
Diversify your IRA/401k with gold and silver, providing stability to your investment portfolio.
From account setup to selecting IRA-approved metals and coordinating secure storage in the USA, we offer a comprehensive service.
Transparency and Full Ownership:
Our transparent pricing policy ensures no hidden fees, and your investment in physical bullion is held securely on your behalf.
Diverse Investment Options:
Select from a variety of LBMA or COMEX-approved bullion, including gold, silver, platinum, and palladium.
Flexible Storage Options:
Choose your preferred storage location across the USA for fully insured storage of your metals.
Our team assists with every step, from setting up your IRA account to finalizing purchases, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
BOOK FREE CONSULTATION
Security and Convenience in Every Transaction
Your investments are protected in Brink's vaults, complete with armed guards and 24/7 surveillance. Each deposit is fully insured by Lloyd's of London, ensuring peace of mind.
Global Reach, Local Service:
With over $150 million in customer deposits across 6 locations in 4 countries, we offer unmatched service and accessibility.
Transparent and Low Rates:
Benefit from the lowest rates with 24/7 account balance updates, ensuring transparency at every step.
Through our Instant Liquidity program, expect the best rates and funds transfer within 1 business day.
Your holdings are confidential with us, thanks to our partnership with private entities like Silver Gold Depository, Lloyd's of London, and Brink's.