2019 Royal Canadian Mint | Louis Riel: Father of Manitoba | Proof Dollar Silver Coin
Buy with Confidence
Leader of the Métis Nation. Father of Manitoba.
In issuing the 2019 Special Edition Proof Dollar, the Royal Canadian Mint acknowledges, honours and celebrates the unique history of the Métis Nation. The Royal Canadian Mint would like to express their sincere gratitude to President Clément Chartier of the Métis National Council, President David Chartrand of the Manitoba Metis Federation, and Mr. Norman Fleury, for their guidance and collaboration in this tale of two nations whose histories are intertwined.
This year's special edition proof dollar highlights the contributions of Louis Riel (1844-1885), and those of the Métis Nation, to the story of Canada. A defender of Métis rights and a catalyst for change, Louis Riel was born 175 years ago in Saint-Boniface, in the province he later founded. In fact, it was 150 years ago that the National Committee led by Riel drafted an initial list of rights for the Métis Nation—a declaration in which land claims and language rights were preconditions to Manitoba's entry into Confederation.
This coin, which commemorates Louis Riel's place in history, is a celebration of the cultural legacy of the Métis Nation and its resilience. The struggles of the past haven't disappeared; they continue to echo through generations. There is hope, however, through the acknowledgement of Canada's troubled history and in the recognition of a founding people's sacrifices.
This coin commemorates Louis Riel's place in history. Order today.
- FIRST APPEARANCE ON A CANADIAN COIN: This is the first Canadian legal tender coin to feature Métis Nation leader Louis Riel (1844-1885), and the first to feature the Michif language.
- CELEBRATE MÉTIS HISTORY AND CULTURE THROUGH ART: From the looped form of the Métis sash to the beaded coat, this inspiring design seamlessly fuses art, symbolism and history. This is the first collaboration between the Royal Canadian Mint and artist David Garneau.
- ONE OF OUR MOST POPULAR ANNUAL OFFERINGS: A favourite with collectors, the Special Edition Proof Dollar is one of RCM's most popular annual offerings.
- TWO NATIONS, THREE LANGUAGES: The design includes Louis Riel's title in three different languages: Michif (the language of the Métis Nation), English, and French. While English and French are in keeping with Canada's official languages, both languages were also given official status in the Manitoba Act of 1870—as negotiated by Louis Riel.
- A HISTORIC SIGNATURE: This coin also includes an engraved reproduction of Louis Riel's signature.
- PURE SILVER: This coin is crafted from 99.99% pure silver.
- NO GST/HST
Design: Designed by Métis artist David Garneau, your coin features a portrait of Louis Riel (1844-1885). The Métis Nation leader and founder of Manitoba is wearing his fur-trimmed buckskin jacket, which is adorned with traditional floral beadwork. His Coventry sash forms one looped half of the emblem of the Métis Nation: an infinity sign that represents the unification of two cultures (European and Indigenous) and the immortality of the Métis Nation. The sash bears Riel's title in three languages: Michif (NIIKAANIIW POOR LA NAASYOON LII MICHIF), English (MÉTIS NATION LEADER) and French (CHEF DE LA NATION DES MÉTIS). An engraved reproduction of Louis Riel's signature appears below the word “CANADA”, the year “2019” and the face value, “DOLLAR”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
“The Royal Canadian Mint's coin pays fitting tribute to the eternal leader of the Métis Nation. Louis Riel's vision and sacrifice not only shaped the struggle of the Métis people to secure their place within the Canadian Federation but also gave birth to western Canada itself.” Clément Chartier, President of the Métis National Council
“'My people will sleep for 100 years, and when they awake, it will be the artists who give them back their spirit.' While scholars have yet to determine when or if Louis Riel said this, it is a sentiment that motivates many Métis artists, including me. Political action woke the Métis in the 1960s-80s and drove the leadership to have us recognized in the Constitution. It is now up to the painters, sculptors, poets, musicians, authors, filmmakers, beaders, and other cultural workers to awaken the Métis spirit and deepen the expression of contemporary Métis identity. I feel this responsibility keenly. I am honoured to have participated in this coin design. It remembers and honours not just our leader, but also the resilience of the Métis people.” David Garneau, Artist
Louis Riel (1844-1885) Louis Riel was born on 22 October 1844 in Saint-Boniface, in present-day Manitoba. During the Red River Resistance of 1869-1870, the Provisional Government of Assiniboia (under Riel's leadership) negotiated Manitoba's entry into Confederation, which was contingent on the recognition of Métis rights and land claims. While the Manitoba Act became law in 1870, the execution of Thomas Scott cast a pall over the provisional government and Riel was forced into exile. He returned to Batoche (Saskatchewan) to lead a second armed resistance movement, the 1885 Northwest Resistance, which ended in defeat against federal troops. He was charged with high treason and hanged on 16 November 1885. Today, Riel is remembered as a champion of Métis nationhood and rights, and since 1992, the founding father of Manitoba.
Did you know…
- The decade from 2011-2020 was declared the “Decade of the Métis Nation.”
- In Manitoba, the third Monday of every February is a provincial holiday known as Louis Riel Day.
- According to the 2016 census, the Métis population in Canada includes more than 587,000 people. Métis Nation citizens, originally of mixed Indigenous and European ancestry emerged as a distinct Indigenous nation in the northwest in the 18th and 19th centuries. Today, the Métis Nation Homeland encompasses the Prairie Provinces and a contiguous part of British Columbia, Ontario, the Northwest Territories and Northwestern United States.
- The earliest recorded use of the Métis flag was on 19 June 1816 at the Battle of Seven Oaks.
- The multi-use “ceinture flechée” worn by the voyageurs during the fur trade era evolved into the now-iconic garment of the Métis Nation, whose history and identity are expressed through each pattern and colourful strand. Featured on this coin, Louis Riel's sash is a Coventry sash, a popular style that was mass-produced on a loom in Coventry, England.
|Royal Canadian Mint|
We make sure your metals are handled with the utmost care until the moment they reach your hands.
Your order will be packed within 2 business days of cleared payment. Orders with pre-sale items will ship once all items are in-stock.
Free shipping over $199
Orders over $199 ship for free! Orders under $199 ship for only $9.95.
Our trusted carriers
We ship via express courier or United States Postal Service. To ensure your complete confidence, every package we ship is fully insured and tracked, with a signature required upon delivery.
Every package we ship is fully insured. This means that you would receive a full refund or exchange in the extremely unlikely event that your package is lost or damaged during transit. Please remember to notify us of damage, tampering, or delivery issues within 24 hours of the signature or delivery date. Failure to notify us within this timeframe may impact our ability to cover your claim.
Up-to-the-minute transparent pricing with no hidden fees
Sell your metals back to us with ease
Tens of millions of dollars of in-stock inventory to fill an order of any size
We bring our heart to every moment of your buying experience
320,000 5-star reviews:
Earned from verified orders placed on our website
Safe & secure payments:
Explore our many easy ways to pay!
Fast secure shipping:
Every shipment is secure, discreet, and fully insured
Secure Your Future with Precious Metals IRA
Building a Brighter Tomorrow:
Diversify your IRA/401k with gold and silver, providing stability to your investment portfolio.
From account setup to selecting IRA-approved metals and coordinating secure storage in the USA, we offer a comprehensive service.
Transparency and Full Ownership:
Our transparent pricing policy ensures no hidden fees, and your investment in physical bullion is held securely on your behalf.
Diverse Investment Options:
Select from a variety of LBMA or COMEX-approved bullion, including gold, silver, platinum, and palladium.
Flexible Storage Options:
Choose your preferred storage location across the USA for fully insured storage of your metals.
Our team assists with every step, from setting up your IRA account to finalizing purchases, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
BOOK FREE CONSULTATION
Security and Convenience in Every Transaction
Your investments are protected in Brink's vaults, complete with armed guards and 24/7 surveillance. Each deposit is fully insured by Lloyd's of London, ensuring peace of mind.
Global Reach, Local Service:
With over $150 million in customer deposits across 6 locations in 4 countries, we offer unmatched service and accessibility.
Transparent and Low Rates:
Benefit from the lowest rates with 24/7 account balance updates, ensuring transparency at every step.
Through our Instant Liquidity program, expect the best rates and funds transfer within 1 business day.
Your holdings are confidential with us, thanks to our partnership with private entities like Silver Gold Depository, Lloyd's of London, and Brink's.